It is normal to feel sad, depressed or lonely at times. This is a natural reaction to loss, life's struggles, or overwhelming situations. However, if these feeling become overwhelming and are present for longer and sustained periods of time, it could be a sign of clinical depression.
Symptoms of Depression
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, the following could be signs of depression:
· Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
· Fatigue and decreased energy
· Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
· Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
· Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
· Irritability, restlessness
· Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
· Overeating or appetite loss
· Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
· Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
· Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts
It is not uncommon for depression and anxiety to go hand and hand. If you are struggling with depression and/or anxiety, please contact me and we can began your journey towards healing.